Saturday, May 29, 2010

Sweet Potato Leaves Kootu



I didn't know until recently that sweet potato leaves are edible. I thought they are poisonous like the regular potato leaves. My chinese friend told me that the leaves are edible and she brought me some sweet potato leaves from the chinese farm market.
She also told me that I can plant the stems after the leaves are removed as we would plant a mint . I removed all the leaves from the stems except the very tiny ones and I planted it deep into the soil leaving the very end tip above the soil.

When I googled and collected information about the leaves, I came to know they are good source of vitamins A and K .

I tried kootu (cooked with Moong in coconut+cumin+green chilli Masala) with the tender leaves. It came out really tasty and Iliked it better than spinach kootu.

Ingredient
Sweet Potato Leaves - 2 cups
Moong Dhal -1/4 cup

To Grind
Coconut - 2 tbs
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Green chillies-2
Garlic cloves-1

For Tampering
Mustard seeds
Curry Leaves
Red Chili-1

Method.

Wash the greens and chop them. Boil the moong in little water. Once it gets half cooked add the chopped greens. Grind together the "to Grind " ingredients. Add the paste and turmeric to the greens and let it cook for few more minutes . Tamper the Mustard seeds in oil . Add broken red chili, curry leaves and hing to the pan and add it to the gravy.

No comments: